Tuesday, September 13, 2011

TUNISIA IS NOT (ONLY) CLUB MED!!

This past weekend I went to Tunisia to see my family and had a great time and got some photos, but there is something I need to clarify...TUNISIA IS NOT CLUB MED!! (Okay so it kind of is...but there is more to it than that!!)


Let me explain, anytime you ask a Parisian their thoughts on Tunisia, they tell you it's a great vacation spot for laying on the beach and buying trinkets like plush camels and keychains. While there is a great deal of this crap in parts, there is another side to the country that is much more interesting than the super touristy areas.

This week I will show you the other side of Tunisia from an insider's perspective of three different things. A walk through Tunis, a traditional Tunisian wedding, and finally, a favorite past time of Tunisian women. For now, a quick introduction...

This is my great grandfather, whose great grandfather (my great great grandfather), came from Istanbul.
His job : Circumciser !!! 


This photo is the door of his house, which is very old and traditional. I didn't get to go in because no one was there at the moment so it was locked, but it is very pretty inside as you can imagine by how lovely the door is.


This is my grandmother Habiba, who taught me embroidery.


This is my grandfather Habib.


You can see parts of my home in Tunisia in these photos, which feature my cousin showing off some of my pieces. Hopefully the photos can give you some insight into a small piece of my childhood.








3 comments:

  1. Love Love Love! It is amazing how much there is in common with countries like Tunisia and Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great trip, and I have heard people mention similarities like that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so much like your grandmother! I first mistook her for you when I saw her picture on your homepage before reading this post! Such an elegant-looking woman :)

    ReplyDelete